Male Sex Hormone Treatment in Grand Rapids, MI
Visit Breton Pediatrics & Family medicine for male sex hormone treatment today! If you are experiencing fluctuations in testosterone or estrogen Dr. Macfield can help. Book an appointment or call (616) 202-3045. We are located at 2460 Burton St SE #300 Grand Rapids, MI 49546.
Male Sex Hormone Treatment
It’s not just women who experience hormone disruption. Men thrive when they have balanced hormones. The most important male hormone is testosterone. When testosterone levels begin to decline, or when estrogen level begin to increase – thereby altering hormone balance – men don’t feel normal and their health begins to decline.
Andropause is a medical condition in men similar to menopause in women. It is a hormonal deficiency state of testosterone. Unlike menopause that usually occurs quite suddenly, the hormonal changes of andropause may occur much slower often over years. This makes noticing the specific symptoms difficult for many men. Often a friend or spouse notices the changes long before the male may recognize any differences. Testosterone is the primary male hormone produced by the testicles. It is the hormone that causes you to increase your muscle mass, deepen your voice, improve your strength, controls normal brain function and is a significant part of your libido (sex drive).
The 7 “Powers of Testosterone” include:
- Improves sexual performance
- Promotes libido
- Stimulates muscle growth
- Increases energy levels
- Improves memory, mood and mental clarity
- Builds stronger bones
- Keeps urinary and reproductive systems healthy
The industrial world we live in today has contributed to some of the hormonal imbalance we see in men and women. The petrochemicals we are exposed to in the air we breathe, water we drink and foods we eat all contribute to exposure of the human body to forms of synthetic estrogens which causes hormonal imbalance. These petrochemicals cause high levels of estrogen which cause an imbalance of male hormones, especially a decline in testosterone. This problem is referred to as Estrogen Dominance. Today, many men begin to experience problems in their 30’s which only gets worse as we age.
Estrogen Dominance symptoms in men include an enlarge prostate, urinary difficulties, low sex drive, impotence, diabetes, allergies, depression, fatigue, foggy thinking, increased risk of stroke, infertility, rapid increases in weight and osteoporosis, just to name a few. The correct hormone balance may improve all of these health problems and your overall quality of life.
Our approach to male hormone imbalance begins with a comprehensive history and physical. This allows us to identify specific areas of your health that may need attention and focus our efforts on these points. We will perform the appropriate testing; usually blood and saliva testing for hormonal balance. We will look carefully at your thyroid and adrenal gland function as often the function of these glands will affect your health and wellness. We will build an individualized comprehensive treatment plan to address each of the identified issues for you.
Typically, our first step in restoring male hormone balance it to be sure you are following a healthy diet. We typically recommend a diet is high in protein and low in carbohydrates. We try and have you avoid as much sugar (both refined and artificial sugars), caffeine, processed food and alcohol as possible.
Next, we try and replace any needed vitamins and/or mineral that you need. We will recommend the specific nutrients based on your history, physical and testing to ensure you are receiving precisely the supplements that are best for you.
Finally we will use bioidentical hormones for any type of needed hormonal replacement. We only replace hormones that we can measure with specific testing. We only replace needed hormones with bioidentical hormones. Finally, we only replace hormones to a normal physiological level. This means you will only receive hormonal replacement to a level appropriate for your age in order to improve and restore function.
Please find below some of the products that we recommend for male hormonal balance and male health. You may find specific product information by clicking on the blue “Metagenic’s “icon on the left side of the page above:
- Arginine Plus with Actifolate – provides high quality L-arginine – a vital amino acid- which is often needed during stressful time. L-Arginine helps support healthy cardiovascular function
- BioSom – provides the adrenal hormone DHEA in a pleasant tasting sublingual spray. Helps promote healthy adrenal gland functioning. Will help improve energy, mood and sense of well being along with sexual functioning.
- EPA-DHA 720 – provide replacement of two essential fatty acids – eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexoaenoic acid (DHA) – to help support cardiovascular, immune, gastrointestinal and musculoskeletal health. Omega-3’s supports the structural integrity of cells and are important for normal hormone production.
- Testralin – is designed for men age 40 and beyond to support healthy testosterone and estrogen balance and help maintain male reproductive health. This powerful formula provides significant levels of 14 key ingredients to promote healthy levels of testosterone, while helping inhibit levels of certain testosterone and estrogen metabolites.
- Tribulus Synergy – provides support for healthy male sexual function, vitality and stamina all in one formula. It supports optimal male vitality and healthy sexual function as well as overall strength.
- Ultra Prostagen – is a blend or raw prostate concentrate with saw palmetto, pumpkin seed, amino acids, zinc and other select nutrients specifically designed for men. It promotes proper urinary function and prostate health and may modulate the function of enzymes responsible for maintaining normal hormonal balance and prostate size.
- Ultra Meal Plus/ Ultra Meal Plus 360 – two medical food formulas to help manage conditions associated with metabolic syndrome such as hypercholesterolemia, hypertriglyceridemia, metabolic syndrome and altered body composition. In an integral part of the First Line Therapy program to improve health and wellness.
- Wellness Essentials for Men – a combination of four specialized formulas packed together to provide essential vitamins and minerals, omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants and calcium to support overall health and wellness. Also contains a unique, all-natural herbal formula to support optimal male vitality, stamina and healthy sexual function (Tribulus Synergy).